Monday, March 26, 2012

Yarimburgaz Cave

Yarimburgaz Cave - TAY Project
As I was writing Burnt Amber, I had a cave in mind for a key location. Plenty of mythology pointed to the place. When I started writing the Istanbul section of the story, I was hard-pressed for a cave with the local lore I needed. Good thing I watch  Muhteşem Yüzyıl - or I should say, good thing the producers got in legal trouble for using an interesting cave in one of their episodes. Now I have the perfect setting for a scene I've been thinking up...

Details of the Yarimburgaz cave:

  • Located in the Küçükçekmece area, near Istanbul 
  • Formed by and underground river, the double mouthed cave is known for it's prehistoric significance. The earliest evidence of human settlement in Turkey was found there. 
  • Site of a Byzantine church or monastery, similar to many caves in Turkey. 
  • Much archaeological evidence had been destroyed before the official dig. This was due to amateur interest in the old caves, and the worst offender - a mushroom farming operation.
  • Iron bars on the cave are supposed to inhibit people from entering. 

Muhteşem Yüzyıl producers are accused of using the cave as a setting, and digging a "hot spring" inside.
My question is this: Who unlocked the gates? And how did no one notice a film crew setting up there? The cave has been used in previous films and TV shows, so maybe no one thought anything of it?






5 comments:

Old Kitty said...

Poor cave!! Hope all the damaging ends now!

Take care
x

LTM said...

OK, first I'm giggling at Kitty's comment... But second, I'm totally with you on this. Film crews are big, noisy, bright, and hard to miss.

But that's a great cave. What a happy umm... accident? For you! :o) <3

Sarah said...

Hrm. I can't help but think it would be difficult and expensive to film on location like that--and with today's technology, it seems simpler not to. Maybe they can recreate it with a green screen! Not quite the same, of course ...

Southpaw said...

Were there no signs? And ya, who opened the gate?

Carolyn V said...

They missed the film crew? Strange.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails