Monday, July 11, 2011

I Don't Give a Fig!

via Wikipedia

Well, actually I do. This morning I was out in the yard, checking on my figs. They're not quite ready yet, but I expect a bumper crop this year. Can't wait! There's nothing quite like a fresh fig. (Wait - didn't I just say that about an apricot?)

In CT, I could never have a fig unless it was in a pot, brought in for the winter, etc. Here in NC, I have Peter's Honey (prolific, Sicilian-type) growing near my herb garden. In Turkey, fig trees are everywhere. In fact, my Eniste has a huge wild fig growing right outside his orchard.

I remember when Eniste first bought the land. It was a barren plot up on a hillside overlooking Mersin. The only thing of interest was the fig, covered in ripe, russet colored fruit. DH climbed up to pick some and we had a feast. Eniste says the tree is still there, but now it's surrounded by his orange grove.

The fig tree itself is full of meaning. It's the Tree of Life for some cultures. I could go on and on and on about it, but due to my currently limited browsing capabilities, I'm directing you to an interesting blog called Gypsy Magic. Lots of great, detailed information about symbolism and such on that site. The post on Fig Trees - Legend and Lore is amazing. There's info about medieval fig cures, divination with fig leaves, ancient roman fig festivals, etc. It's really worth the click!

7 comments:

Jessica Bell said...

I absolutely LOVE figs. We used to have one in our back yard (childhood home). Not only did it produce awesome figs, but the branches were brilliant for climbing! ;o)

Sarah said...

Ah, this almost makes me want to move to more southerly climes. Almost. I hate the heat, but fresh summer fruit like figs does sound awfully appealing!

Old Kitty said...

Awww nothing like fresh figs for breakfast! Well not here in the UK - but when I went on my Greek holiday once years ago, it was fresh figs everyday! Yay!

Thanks for the link to Gypsy Magic's blog! Take care
x

Matthew MacNish said...

Have you heard of the Jaya Sri Maha Bodhi tree?

Hart Johnson said...

I'm completely positive I would not recognize a fig tree. I like some fig stuff, but I've never had fresh, so I imagine what I've had is more like the raisin version? (denser and sweeter?) You'll have to invite me over, as I am now tempted...

Lydia Kang said...

I love a fresh fig. With a bit of chevre to go with it. I'm so jealous!

M Pax said...

Mmmm. The first fresh fig [not in a newton] I ever had was in NC ... on the way to the Outer Banks. I love them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails