Monday, November 7, 2011

Yogurt Soup - Yayla Çorbası

image via tulumba.com
It's officially NaNoWriMo for me, so I'm cheating on my blog and posting recipes.

An easy one that I like to make is Yayla Çorbası, which means peasant soup, or technically mountain village soup - aka yogurt soup.

For this you'll need:

One 32 oz package (4 c) of PLAIN yogurt.
Not Greek yogurt. Not vanilla yogurt. Plain. Preferably low fat, as opposed to nonfat. I use Dannon. A full cream organic like Stoneyfield Farms would be a waste of calories, IMHO. I'm picky about my yogurt.

1/4 cup flour
1 egg
1/4 cup of dried mint
1/2 of medium grain rice, rinsed
Two 32 oz cartons (8 c) chicken stock

To prepare:

Empty the yogurt into at least a 4 quart pot. Whisk in flour, egg, and dried mint. Add stock and rice. Stir frequently over medium-high heat, until the mixture almost comes to a boil. Bubbles look like they want to come through at the edges. Don't let it boil! The soup separates if it boils. Reduce heat to a simmer for about 15 more minutes, so the rice can cook through.

Serve with red pepper flakes.

I've eaten this cold. I've eaten it without red pepper flakes. I've eaten it with a splash of tabasco. Sometimes the yogurt isn't sour enough and I'll squeeze in a little lemon. Actually, this is a perfect dish to use up that container of yogurt you forgot about in the back of your fridge.

Or, if you're rushed and NaNoWriMoing like me, you can buy the mix.

5 comments:

Old Kitty said...

Never heard of yoghurt soup so yay!!! but if I use vegetable stock instead - would that count?? I like the yoghurt and rice mix! Yay!

Good luck with your nano-ing!! Take care
x

Wendy@FabNouveau said...

It sounds lovely and easy, i'll try this, Thanks and good luck with the writing

Carolyn V said...

Yogurt soup? It sounds so good. I'm going to have to try this recipe out. =)
Good luck with NaNo!

LTM said...

ooo, I love soup. And this one sounds divine. I'm pretty picky about my yogurts, too. So good tip. ;o) <3

Southpaw said...

I have actually had yogurt soup before. It's pretty good. Isn't it suppose to be good for digestion too?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails