Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Bartle Quotient

image via madore.org
You know I'm a gamer. But what kind of gamer? Betcha didn't know there's DNA involved, as in gamerdna of the Bartle Test of Gamer Psychology.

That's me on the right: The Queen of Spades.
Called “Pallas” on the French deck, possibly after the Greek goddess Athena. She faces left, and is seen in profile. On the English deck, she is the only queen with a scepter. She faces forward, a little to the right. Madore.org

I can identify with that.

Queen of Hearts, I am not. Nope. Not enough pink ink in my manuscripts. Everything I encounter is analyzed and shelved for future reference. Very Athena goddess of wisdom,/strategy/justice-like. Yup. Spades is definitely the right camp for me.

Must be why I love characters like Rowena Ravenclaw (Hogwarts) and Annabeth (Percy Jackson series. Loved the library in the cabin and the whole grey/white color scheme. I digress.)

So this all relates to the MMORPG: Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game - which I technically do not have any time for this NaNoWriMonth.

According to the Bartle Test of Gamer Psychology (at gamerdna.com), there are four categories a player trends into, with tendencies leaning in all directions in various percentages. These are my stats.



I'm going to translate this into blogging, just for fun. Hope my blogger buddies don't mind me nominating them for head of their camp.

Socializers: aka Hearts - (LeighTMoore) Spreads the love and enjoys interaction just for the experience. Involved in activities for the good of the group, such as a guild. Yes, LTM is definitely the Queen of Hearts.

Explorers: aka Spades -  Analytical. Likes to discover glitches, uncover things like the hidden easter egg. Should be an archeologist, or some kind of "ologist". I think Sarah Fine probably fits best here. Hey, what do you know? She's a psychologist.

Achievers: aka Diamonds - Eyes on the rare prize, such as the 8 million point christmas cracker. I'm thinking Matt MacNish has a high score here. Example: He wants to get 1,000 followers before he queries. He's probably got a high score in the socializer category too because of his quest to aid queriers everywhere. I thought he'd prefer the King of Diamonds, since knowledge is the rare prize we seek when we visit him.

Killers: aka Clubs. Try to affect their environment, control markets. Usually have minions. Who is this? I'm stumped. I don't have any one blogger in mind here, but I know we all have this to some degree. It's our competitive streak. Probably an attorney would be a good fit here, but I don't know anyone who writes legal thrillers. Slytherin, anyone? Maybe someone like Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg. What they do is important and good, but can easily go the wrong way. A good trickster, IMHO.

How many books have I read that tap into this theory? A bunch.  Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, Divergence, to name a few that are top of mind.

Which camp/suit/category do you fall under? 

And hey! The new Uncharted came out yesterday. Did you get your copy yet?

7 comments:

Old Kitty said...

Crazy old cat lady camp? LOL!!

Good luck with your nano-ing!!!! Take care
x

Unknown said...

I totally love learning about the psychology that drives personality and aptitude. Fascinating! I don't know which queen I relate to in the regular cards, but in the tarot deck the Queen of Wands resonates deeply with me.

I'm doing NaNo too! I'm Nicole Ducleroir over there, as well -- we should be buddies!

Connie Keller said...

Okay, so I'm going to have to take the personality test.

I took the LOTR personality test once and ended up as Sauron...so maybe I fit the Queen of Clubs. Hmm.

Matthew MacNish said...

OMG! This is so hilarious. You may not know this, but I'm fanatic about getting "achievements" on Xbox live. It's impossible to get 1000/1000 on every game, but I definitely try.

I wonder how all of this relates to your personality in life, because outside of gaming, I'm not really that ambitious, unless you count writing.

S.P. Sipal said...

So nice to meet you, Carolyn! I see we have a couple of things in common -- we're both writing about the Jinn (djinn, cin), and my son't middle name is the same as your hero's! :-)

Also, hadn't thought about the Hogwarts houses in relation to the suits, but you make an excellent point!

LTM said...

BAH!!! OMG. *snort* I'm sitting here reading your explanation of why you're the Q of Spades and thinking, "I guess that makes me the Q of Hearts." LOL!!! No lie. :D

Ta daaah!

I can see that about Matt, btw. And I can totally see you as Q of S. That is so right on. Sarah's yep. A good fit. Alex has minions. Or so I hear... :D

Fun stuff~ <3

Sarah said...

Haha! Wow, I'd never heard of this, but it's fascinating. I'm currently reading Reality Is Broken, a book about the positive aspects of gaming for society--really cool stuff. Nice to be recognized by a fellow Spade :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails