Monday, July 19, 2010

Whirling Dervishes

I got a blog post request (Yay!) to discuss my use of Rumi, a Sufi mystic who once lived in Konya, Turkey.

Rumi founded the Mevlana brotherhood, which many recognize as the Whirling Dervishes (at right).

I’m not encouraging a meditative state which involves possible dizziness, and I’m not even what you would call a spiritual person. However, I do admire people who can tap that inner, personal source of peace.

I once picked up a hardcover copy of his poems for a ridiculous price. So one evening, when I couldn't sleep because I was trying to figure out a good plot twist, I flipped through Rumi for some inspiration.

Warning: Rumi poetry has the power to touch your soul.

Now poetry foreshadows each chapter of Burnt Amber. No rhymey stuff, just insightful verses that apply to any creed. Not every one of his poems resonates with me, but for example, a two minute search pulled up this:

I tried to remember in my heart
what I’d dreamt about
during the night
before I became aware
of this moving
of life

You can find more Rumi poetry on the web at http://www.khamush.com/.

You might also like:

Change is afoot for 800-year-old whirling dance

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails