Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Karabasan

While I put some creepy stuff in my writing, none of it is off-the-wall insane. Some people actually experience the things I describe. I think that makes things all the more frightening and easier for Sibel to dismiss scientifically, while leaving room for doubt.

One idea I use is Sleep Paralysis, which is related to REM. In this case, your mind wakes from the dream but your body remains frozen. Sometimes it's accompanied by hallucinations. In Turkish culture, the phenomenon is referred to as Karabasan, or the dark assailant. It's believed to be a demon or spirit which presses down on the chest and steals your breath.

From Burnt Amber:

Only my eyes did what they were told. And the only thing I was able to do was to squeeze them as tightly closed as possible in an attempt to escape the shadows.

This is part of my reference to the Karabasan. I can’t tell you why I use it, or how, because it would be a spoiler. What I can tell you is that I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

Here's a clip explaining how it happens.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails