Thursday, January 27, 2011

Message in a Bottle


Moshe Bursuker via UrbanGlass.org

Did I say I was giving up Thursday posts? That was my evil twin. I can't seem to stay away....

So here we go: Stylish Blogger Award below!

I'm over at The Quintessentially Questionable Query Experiment (Q3E) with Matt Rush today and tomorrow. He's posted my craptastic query for constructive criticism. Please head over there and let me know what you think. I know it's too long, (aka my shortened synopsis) and it feels plot driven. However, underneath all that is a story with an amazing theme of the MC finding her place in the two worlds....I just need to find the query muse so I can let it out! Anybody seen her lately?

What's all this got to do with Message in a Bottle? (Genie not included!)

Querying feels like I'm on a desert island...tossing a query into the sea and hoping for a response...and guess what ...a hundred million castaway queries are looking for a home! I wanted to get the lyrics up here, but then I found this amazing clip for Guitar Hero. The song expresses my anxiety pretty well. Trying to keep up with the darn buttons in this game illustrates it even better! LOL. Ahh! Demented laughter. I'm really going over the edge. :D





And, as a friend pointed out to me the other day, the Kevin Costner movie Message in Bottle is awesome too. Rent it, if you haven't already.

I also have some housekeeping today:

Deniz Bevan gave me the Stylish Blogger award the other day and I need to:
  • Thank and link back to the person who awarded me this award.
  • Share seven things about myself
  • Award a recently discovered great blogger(s)
  • Contact the blogger(s) and tell them about the award
So here goes:

  1. You might have guessed, if you follow me enough, that Sting is my absolute favorite musician. I could listen to him 24/7.
  2. When I lived in CT, I had an amazing English garden. Here in NC, red clay and drought thwart my every effort. I miss my Casablanca lillies! (They're my favorite flower.) Does this count as two things?
  3. My last name is Snow Abiad and that translates to Snow White. And I write anti-princess stories. the irony does not escape me...
  4. My high school French teacher, Ms. Cassidy, used to call me La Neige. I almost used the name for my blog, but I wasn't sure people would get the meaning. Maybe I'll create a fun little signature for the bottom of each post. What do you think?
  5. My favorite color has always been turquoise. Now it reminds me of the Mediterranean. Apparently, that is the only thing I share with Grace Kelly. :D
  6. I don't like fresh ginger. That's the only flavor I can't have in my food, so Thai is out for me! I do like ginger ale though.
  7. I guess you already know...I love ruins. The acanthus an artisan coaxed out of the stone centuries ago, waiting for me to touch it and connect. The hidden history, waiting for me to rediscover it. The potential for a great story to unfold in my head!
And finally, I pass the Stylish Blogger award on to:

Sarah Fine at The Strangest Situation.

If you haven't stopped by her blog yet, her specialty is psychology and YA lit. Must read stuff there, I tell you!



 Yes? No?
 Think I need to work on the size....



(Btw...Roni Loren is also hosting a contest for a query crit from Anita Mumm of the Nelson Agency.)



Related articles
Enhanced by Zemanta

15 comments:

LTM said...

ooo--I love that bottle, Snow White! Send your query in that~ :D

Congrats, you stylish thing! And I do like your signature. Pretty~

P.S.
About your garden, have you checked in w/your local extension? There *are* flowers that grow down here, and they're gorgeous... You should've seen my yard when I moved here. :D xoxo running over to Matt's now~

Carolyn V. said...

Ugh! I hate fresh ginger too! Especially, after having my second baby (where I kept eating handfuls of it to make the morning sickness pass). It just makes me want to throw up now.

I love the Snow White! How funny you write anti-princess stories now! Very cool.

Old Kitty said...

La Neige!!!! I love it!! I love La Neige!! Yes please use this gorgeous signature!!!!

I've been over at Matt Rush's blog and I love your synopsis/letter!!!! Yay for you!!!

Congratulations with your award!!!! Turquoise is a very romantic and vivid colour and such a beautiful name too!!

Take care
x

Sarah said...

Congrats on the award, Carolyn, and thanks very much for thinking of me--I'm honored! I saw your query letter over on Matt's blog and your story sounds fascinating. I'll probably comment tomorrow, but you have a lot of great stuff to work with and, I believe, a unique hook.

Colene Murphy said...

You were great on Matthews blog today! Congrats on your award!

Matthew MacNish said...

Q3E. I like that. Don't worry Carolyn, we're going to get that query to shine. Your story sounds really awesome, so you've got the important part covered. Queries are a really tough nut to crack.

Christopher said...

congrats on the award!

RosieC said...

Congrats on the award :) I love Sting, my favorite flowers are lilies, and I think the La Neige signature is pretty cool. In what language does "abiad" mean white?

I think your metaphor of the query in the bottle is right on. Querying is so painfully difficult! And I'm a little afraid of it. Good luck!

Okay, on my way over to Q3E to check out your query. Nice blog, btw :)

Southpaw said...

Snow White! That is awesome. I'll go read your query too.

Golden Eagle said...

Cool signature!

Congratulations on the award!

Donea Lee said...

I hope you get some great help with your query! From waht I hear, Matt's blog is the place to have it posted. I'll pop over and take a look. Congrats on your award, too!

Lydia Kang said...

Congrats on the award and I love what your name means... you were meant to write those anti-fairytales!

Missed Periods said...

Just read your query letter. Your book sounds wonderful.

Ayak said...

Congrats on the award...well deserved.

I love Sting too!

Deniz Bevan said...

Love the La Neige signature - hey, it's snowing outside as I write this!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails