|Istanbul streets via HurriyetDailyNews.com|
- Clean the house from top to bottom. (Gripe. Should've married someone who likes that "new red underwear" tradition instead.)
- Decorate with strings of lights, like we do here.
- Decorate a tree. Some people are superstitious of having last year's decorated tree in the house on New Years Day, but in Turkey the tree is sometimes part of the celebration.
- Have a special dinner with your family and friends. I personally have an intimate dinner on the 31st and a nice brunch with family on the 1st.
- You've probably heard the saying "Set out on the right foot". Turks take it literally. They step into a new home or new place of business on the right foot. I "step" into the New Year on my right foot with a small prayer when I get out of bed on January 1st.
Red underwear and grapes, symbols of good luck
Chic Istanbul neighborhood rolls out red carpet for new year