Friday, December 10, 2010

On Being a Pomegranate


Pomegranate Sugar Bowl from Tulumba.com
What happens when you're not an apple or an orange? Fellow blogger (aka Australian expat in Greece) Jessica Bell, was contemplating "home" when I came up with the answer. Be a Pomegranate!

(I like pomegranates. Jessica said she'd be a pomegranate with me. Anyone else?)

American expats, or any expats, around the world know what I mean. Once you live someplace else, you pick up little things. Things that make people here look at you like you have three heads and ask you where you're from...because your accent isn't something anyone can place....

...because that place where you lived, that you loved, became a part of who you are. And yet, you never blended in with the locals either. You were always the "American" neighbor, wife, friend. (Check out Katie and her giant jar of Jiff peanut butter in France, or any of her other Living in France topics. Really cute stuff in there!)

To top that off, I'm a writer. Which means I live in an alternate universe, wherever I am. So Fridays from now on, I'm going to just be myself. Worry about things like comma splices, or the correct way to eat an artichoke in Damascus. (There isn't one, I don't think...) It's not going to be easy, because I always need something to write about, but I'll give it a shot and see what happens!

And here I have a spot for a little giftiness. ('Tis the season!)

I've been so busy working on the MS and blogging my little bloggery heart out and I've been a MISERABLE blog commentor. I literally haven't visited more than ten blogs in a week. Like I said, I stink. But some followers (Jules, LTM, OJ Gonzalez-Caserez, Old Kitty (& Charlie), Christopher, Golden Eagle, Hart, Carolyn V., Alesa and Ayak) are always commenting here, regardless of my lack of reciprocity. I want to give you guys a huge virtual hug for being such great blogger friends. So I'm giving you a little mwah from me:



Thanks to all my occasional commenters too, even the stalkers!

On another unrelated topic:  Remember this guy?



Kıvanç Tatlıtuğ (Kivan), of Turkish Soap Opera fame :Ask-i-Memnu, Gumus, etc....just picked up the ELLE Turkey Style Award for Best Male Actor, 2010. Congratulations to him on that!

Think I'll go have one of these:
Enhanced by Zemanta

16 comments:

Avo said...

LoL, I don't comment much either.
But customarily, if I do, then the poster not only wrote something interesting, but something I can contribute to. Not much point in just commenting to get comments. I guess we're just exotic fruit that way. ; j
Thanks for writing interesting posts.

Old Kitty said...

I love pomegranate!! I want to be one too!! LOL!!

Your plans for Friday sound wonderful!! It's so great to be able to straddle these many worlds that you do - an expat in a fascinating country and a writer!! Wow!!

This guy is yummy. Congratulations to him!!

Awwwwww thank you so much for this fab award!!! How COOL!!!! Thank you!!! Double wow!!

Take care
x

Golden Eagle said...

I've never eaten pomegranate--although I love the juice. :)

Thank you so much for the award!

LTM said...

and a little mwah right back to you! You know I have to have my daily Turkish delight~ ;p <3

(great expat post, btw!)

Hart Johnson said...

*hugs back* *accepts Kivan as apology*

teehee

I'm not authentically a pomegranite, but does it count that I want to be? I've never lived abroad, but my heart is often there...

Vicki Rocho said...

I've been a scarce commenter myself recently. Trying to make up for it this afternoon. I've got Google reader set to "all" and I'm just going down the list. So many wonderful blogs/bloggers I've not seen in awhile.

Danette said...

Pomegranates are a nice choice indeed and have a mythological connection as well. I'd have to think a bit now that you've chosen it... perhaps a coconut. Tropical and a hard nut to crack!

Carolyn V. said...

I'll be a pomegranate! They are delish and always remind me of the holidays. =)

Thanks so much for the award Carolyn! You are so sweet to think of me! =D <3 <3 <3

Deniz Bevan said...

Wow, I'm so glad I found your blog! Your YA sounds very intriguing - I'm in love with Kiz Kulesi myself; I wish I could live in it [g]

Southpaw said...

I love pomegranate too! I'm glad you stopped by this week. I know I followed your blog. So when I stopped by and founds lots of post I missed, I was surprised to find that I no longer did. This is the second blog I've had this happen too. I'm perplexed.

Sarah said...

Hi Carolyn, that brass pomegranate bowl looks just like a Christmas bauble. How appropriate!

Thanks for commenting on my blog. :)

Jules said...

Sorry I'm late I took the weekend off. Pomegranates, hum, I have 3 in the fridge now. :)

Thanks for the award, I just like visiting though, sort of like dropping in on friends to drive them crazy :D
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Jessica Bell said...

hehhee! I'm honored to be a fellow pomegranite with you! xx

Creepy Query Girl said...

Cool! Sorry I missed this-
'...because that place where you lived, that you loved, became a part of who you are. And yet, you never blended in with the locals either. You were always the "American" neighbor, wife, friend.'
I couldn't have said it better. So true that being an expat kind of puts you nationality purgatory. Thanks for the shout out!

Christopher said...

It's always a pleasure checking out your little corner of the net.

OJ Gonzalez-Cazares said...

thanks for the hug Carolyn!! I've been kind of absent from my blog and my favorite blogs this week (the end of a project, the beginning of the holiday season, just crazy!), but will try to catch up with them shortly! I will sport my hearts proudly on my side bar!
ps- I am a pomegranate mixed with cranberry and cinnamon (try it one time, you will love it!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails