Monday, November 8, 2010

Red Ribbons

via Travelthruhistory.com
In my previous post on the Turkish Rules of Engagement, we saw the couple exchange promise rings bound by a red ribbon.

In the Turkish wedding tradition, a bride wears red cording or ribbon around her waist symbolizing her chastity and a promise to the bridegroom. (As in, he's the only one who gets to untie THAT knot!)

The cake is always huge because every cousin, neighbor and co-worker is invited. Each person pins a gold coin onto the bride's dress as a gift, but sometimes the ribbon is used instead. (I think that's what happened in this photo. Beats getting stabbed by a plethora of tipsy wedding guests!)

When the first child is born, often the woman will receive visitors with a piece of the same red ribbon tied up in her hair.


Next week I'll discuss the bachelorette party and the perfect wedding shoes.




Enhanced by Zemanta

10 comments:

Jules said...

Some how I missed the ring post, will go back :) Yes, every wedding I've been to would have required paramedics if the guests had to pin something on the bride :D
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Old Kitty said...

How interesting!!! The red ribbon is really symbolic throughout the engagement through to marriage through to birth! Amazing!!

Thanks for another fascinating insight into these wonderful traditions! Take care
x

Carolyn V. said...

That is such a cool tradition! So interesting (and beautiful too).

Golden Eagle said...

Interesting wedding traditions!

Christopher said...

now that's some cake

Kelly Polark said...

I'd like a piece of that cake!
Cool wedding tradition and the red looks pretty against the white!

LTM said...

oh! I absolutely love that. I loved the engagement ring tradition (and the ring's gorgeous), but I really like the ribbon tradition.

And what a pretty bride~ :o) <3

OJ Gonzalez-Cazares said...

wow! love the symbolism of the ribbon...and the cake...it is the second time in two days I read about red and turkish weddings:
http://ayak-turkishdelight.blogspot.com/2010/11/village-wedding.html

Vicki Rocho said...

So interesting! That cake is humungous! I don't know if I KNOW enough people (even including distant relatives) to finish off half of that puppy!

Unknown said...

interesting and unique custom

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails