Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Turkish Tiles

Blue Turkish Tiles in FrameImage via Wikipedia Tiles are a big part of decor all around the mediterranean and Turkey is no different.
Decorative blue and white tiles from Iznik and Kutahya can be found in palaces and mosques around the country. Sultanahmet Mosque in Istanbul is famously known as the Blue Mosque because of the tiles.

Most people have a piece or two in their home, perhaps a trivet or something more decorative like the panel on the right. Gorgeous isn't it? It's the tree of life in a frame. I could definitely find a spot for it in my foyer but any more and I might get dizzy looking at the patterns. The pottery produced by Kutahya Porselen is what I like! (Sybil bought a vase in one Burnt Amber cut)That will have to be another post...

More utilitarian tiles used in homes are usually from Çanakkale where there is a factory under the same name. Çanakkale, btw, is near the ancient city of Troy. Lowe's and Home Depot often carry tiles from Turkey. They are indistinguishable from their Italian counterparts. You have to check the stamp on the back to find out where it's made.

Choices are endless and I almost lost my mind trying to pick out tiles for our apartment when I lived in Mersin. And if you thought that was hard, wait until the tile man comes to install them and asks what pattern you prefer! Some of the most talented tilers are Turks because they are still actively practicing the art.



Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

Hart Johnson said...

I love decorative tiles and that blue with the tree of life is fabulous. I wish I were independently wealthy--my kitchen and bathroom would be awash with GORGEOUS tiles... unfortunately, for the time being, I will have to live with what they installed when they built the house.

Carolyn Abiad said...

I know what you mean...I spent a few hours dreaming about new bathroom tiles when I wrote this post!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails