Monday, June 20, 2011

Emrah Yücel

ftnnews.com Turkey - Be our guest ad
Did you notice there are lots of great ads for Turkey lately? I have. In fact, I was watching Glee and saw the Times Square ad on the right, designed by Emrah Yücel.

Kudos to Yücel! Since his ad campaign started, there's been a measurable increase in tourism from the US. I'm talking a double digit percentage. After you've seen his ads, you'll want to go too. Don't take my word for it. The United Nations' World Tourism Organization voted his ad campaign the best 'country advertising' in Europe. In fact, you should really visit his link (above) and check out the other beautiful things he's done.


haberturk.com
 So who is this guy? He's a Turk. Grew up and went to school in Ankara. Lives in LA. (That's where talent like his likes to dwell, I guess!) Does important stuff, like found the Turkish Film Council so that Sony pictures can have people like Clive Owen run around the rooftops of Istanbul (The International).

Yücel has worked on high profile projects like Avatar, Kill Bill, Narnia, and What Women Want. Have to mention the last one, even though it's from way back in 2000, because Yücel certainly knows what what we Americans want - we want authentic adventure! Sure some of us are interested in dusty museums (myself included). We'll even settle for replica theme park. (OK, the theme parks are great, I admit.) But Turkey offers the real thing. That guy in the picture looks like he's climbing in Cappadocia. Yücel made another ad where there's a girl resting against a bas relief of Nike - the goddess, not the running shoe. Touch history! It's lying around all over the place in Turkey. Literally.

btw - Istanbul was voted number one place to visit for NY Times readers in 2010.

Dear agents and editors,
Want to ride this wave? I've got just the book for you.... I promise I'll get it to you as soon as I finish this last edit. ;)

More US Tourists Coming to Turkey Thanks to Designer's Ad Campaign

Turkey Gets It's Place At Times Square
Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

Sarah said...

I haven't seen these ads, but that's because I live under a rock (I have, however, seen The International). That's really cool that Turkey has seen such an increase in tourism! And--I have no doubt agents and editors will be drawn to your setting, 1) because it's cool, and 2) because you do an amazing job describing it!

Old Kitty said...

I personally think you do a brilliant job at making Turkey look, sound and feel so GOOD I want to pack Charlie up and head over there pronto - just by reading your fabulous blog posts!! So agents and editors - take note - Ms Abiad is one seriously amazing writer!! Take care
x

Lydia Kang said...

The only turkey I get to see are the wild ones walking around in my back yard. I so want to go visit Cappadocia, among other places. Sigh.

KatOwens: Insect Collector said...

YOU are the #1 proponent of Turkish travel, in my opinion! YOUR blog really makes me want to visit the country, more than anything else!

Misha Gerrick said...

I wonder if it's the same adverts that I've been seeing in South Africa, because those are beautiful as well...

^_^

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails